Saturday, October 29, 2005

thank you

thank you

(to my homegirls)

 

today
where morning is vast
and the ground cool beneath my
bare feet and i dare run again
                 and breath

a beautiful heaviness like life
that takes the shoulders
tilts the head
filling the face with sun
here where the knees are fine
and saturday unfolds it canopies
calling working men outside into
the sweep and song of a morning beautiful
and blossom filled everywhere
        i want to thank you
just like that
as simple as saying red is red
or you are very beautiful
                thank you
in the plainest print
in a clarity so lucid
that even untruth is truth
                thank you
in a place sudden as children smiling
as honestly as a quiet kiss
i want to thank you
for companionship for comfort
for recognizing me among the millions
of people seeking someone in the stillness
of their long lives
                thank you
before i forget
before this quiet moment passes
before i am confused and mix the metaphors
and lose what i am able to voice
before the tears come and i cannot say it
oh, thank you

                     thank you

                                     thank you

here behind the heart
where memory catalogues loss
and regret is a loneliness wandering an
empty country
                          thank you

today in the bright pools of water
and the thousand mile sky
in a freedom laughing out loud
in as explicit a joy as sleeping late
in as easy an elation as greeting a
friend or wearing new shoes
thank you

            thank you

                        thank you

                                    thank you
simple as that
                     thank you so much
honestly

where we stand today
like exclaiming to the world

              i am alive
and on my way
                        thank you

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings Romus! I wand to add that I too will miss Shirley Horn and, "Here's To Life" and "You Won't Forget Me" are two of my favorites.:) What a great lady of jazz on all levels was she......I truly dig "thank you".:) I am a person who believes that it's those "little things" in life that if one is "aware" that can make life more interesting and worthwhile.:) Your expression is wonderful and there is subtle romanticism in this lovely tribute to your "homegirls".:) Take care and, I write haikus so I look forward to checking out your site more and, hipping folks to your writings.:) Stay cool and creative sir!......Noelle:Jazzhead77@aol.com

Anonymous said...



 "Wanted" was the word I was going for instead of "wand"! Haha! Peace and blessings......Noelle:)

Anonymous said...

Your poetry has always intrigued me.
You give voice to the subjective which
I think is important for all writing. Without
that subjective (or private) ingredient I
feel the reader can catch the writer in
various errors, and thereby feel neglected.

Barry