Sunday, July 3, 2005

gwendolyn brooks (1917-2000)

gwendolyn brooks (1917-2000)

second place winner at the USC Professional Writing Award Contest

 

short pay and weeks to go

tuesday is always toil

counting scars and the elements

aches that rise until the eyes brown

limited to what you can write and scream

you make a poem

 

the first flurries of snow are weeks away

there will be men laid off

all the strong white elephants off schedule

there will be absences and silences all over the city

engines will rev and snort snow

all the poems will be shards of coal

abandoned by his people

leonard will surely come addicted and asking

 

you would curse out the windows

make the cold colder

or damn each train shaking in the city’s veins

machines everywhere where men used to gather

 

but here this week

gwendolyn is joy

an oasis blue and warm as summer

you finally understand her

the brevity

the whisps of intense thought

you read then listen

are applicable to each vowel

this rancid anthology you found in an alley

she speaks and stands erect

points an ebony finger accusingly

and you are glad to be guilty

 

in her spectacles

the lenses making her eyes distant and wise

the city passes

is distilled and held a moment to catalog

even leonard’s wire silhouette

each fraction of each hurrying lonely face

carefully cottoned in space

 

you smile at a stanza in her poem

an awakening in summer

a shirtless free moment in san louis obispo

 

at a small table

on the news paper cloth

in a one bedroom apartment

on the second floor

one window facing the alley

the other framing leonard and

several gambling negros below

your tea has gotten cold

gwendolyn’s sermon has blessed you

the room makes fragrant bread all around you

 

winter echoes in the streets three empty countries away

yet gwendolyn speaks in the small place between

your belly and heart

calls you to work in the sandstone mornings

places butterfly sonnets at each adolescent lisp

 

you would find her if you could

somewhere in the city

in some far up window watching you go

claiming you

hoping you make it to the trains on time

up there letting the pies brown

you know she has something to give you

maybe the meaning of life

a poem written machine sharp

or directions to a field of late lilies

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed.  This is usually a difficult feat.  Most people who go around the internet claiming themselves to be poets,  write poems I have labled "tears for fears."

IE: I had so many fears
     I cried so many tears.

This kind of puke gives poetry a bad name.  

But you sir, are most definetly a poet.   I was stunned by several of your poems posted in this journal.   I was pleased to lose myself in, and be humbled by your words.  

I too would like to label myself a poet.  Unfortunatly my lack of schooling shows in my grammer and my lack of experiences shows in my poetry.  I am by no means a writer of your caliber but would be honored if you would like to stop by my journal as well.  

SINS
http://journals.aol.com/octoberroots/Tidbits

Anonymous said...

Romus, if it made any sense at all to fall for a person because of his ability to write so beautifully, you'd be the love of my life. I simply love everything you write. But you know that already, don't you?

Kiwanda